Here’s what you’ll be working your way towards:
Your entire iTunes library stored on—and read from—your MiniDrive.
OUR FASTEST TIME
Pointing iTunes at your MiniDrive
- In iTunes go to iTunes > Preferences in the settings bar. In the popup you’re looking for the Advanced tab. Click through.
- Where it says ‘iTunes Media folder location’ click on the change button.
- Before moving on to the next step you might want to create a folder on your MiniDrive into which you’ll be placing copying your iTunes files. We somewhat imaginatively named ours iTunes.
- Select your MiniDrive in the finder window—or a folder on your MiniDrive— and press OK.
Getting all your current files copied onto your MiniDrive
- In the settings bar go to File > Library > Organise Library. A popup window will appear.
- If you have a large library you may want to put the kettle on for the next bit.
- One of the options is a tick-box called Consolidate Library. Check this box and hit OK. This may take anywhere between a moment and many, many moments (depending on the size of your library and the write speed of your microSD card).
Deleting your old files
- Please, please, please make sure everything is working and you’re happy before taking the next step. Until then you can undo all of this by following steps 1, 2 and 3 and pointing to the original files (/Users/Your-Name/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media).
- Delete your old iTunes Media folder (/Users/Your-Name/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media).